This agreement regulates the terms and conditions of the coaching services provided to the client by the certified health and wellness coach, Dr. Elaine Barretto, whereby the coach agrees to provide Coaching Services for the client on health and well-being.
2 Health and Medical Disclaimer
Coaching is not a replacement or substitute for medical advice or treatment. It should under no circumstances replace the guidance of a primary care provider. The client commits to consulting his/her primary care physician prior to starting any new fitness, nutrition, or health regime, as well as when taking new supplements or modifying any previously prescribed treatment or medication.
During the coaching relationship, the client might provide private information in written or audiovisual form. The coach agrees to, not at any time, either directly or indirectly, use any information for her own personal benefit and/or disclose information to any third party. The coach also agrees to not disclose this coaching relationship without permission. The coach agrees to hold everything that is said and done during the coaching sessions confidential unless the clients present a physical danger to themselves or others. The coach agrees to not distribute or share the client’s email, phone number, mailing address, or any other personal information collected from the client with anyone else at any time.
Confidential Information does not include information that: (a) was in the coach’s possession prior to its being furnished by the client; (b) is generally known to the public or in the client’s industry; (c) is obtained by the coach from a third party, without breach of any obligation to the client; (d) is independently developed by the coach without the use of or reference to the client’s confidential information; or (e) the coach is required by statute, lawfully issued subpoena, or by court order to disclose; (f) is disclosed to the coach and as a result of such disclosure the coach reasonably believes there to be an imminent or likely risk of danger or harm to the client or others; and (g) involves illegal activity. The client also acknowledges his or her continuing obligation to raise any confidentiality questions or concerns with the coach in a timely manner.
4 Health and Wellness Coaching
Coaching is a growth-promoting relationship that elicits autonomous motivation, increases the capacity to change, and facilitates a change process through visioning, goal setting, and accountability, which at its best leads to sustainable change for the good. Wellness coaching is a process of applying these principles, skills, and knowledge to enable individuals to choose healthy lifestyle alternatives and make positive changes to achieve holistic health.
5 Coach-Client Relationship
- Coach agrees to maintain the ethics and standards of behavior established by the National Board for Health & Wellness Coaching (NBHWC).
- Coaching is a partnership (defined as an alliance, not a legal business/partnership) between the coach and the client in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires the client to maximize personal potential.
- The client is solely responsible for creating and implementing his/her own physical, mental, and emotional well-being, decisions, choices, actions, and results arising out of or resulting from the coaching relationship and his/her coaching calls and interactions with the coach. As such, the client agrees that the coach is not and will not be liable or responsible for any actions or inaction, or any direct or indirect result of any services provided by the coach. The client understands coaching is not therapy and does not substitute for therapy if needed, and does not prevent, cure, or treat any mental disorder or medical disease. The coaching relationship is not a substitute for psychological counseling, psychotherapy, or any medical service. If the coach identifies symptoms or signs that require professional counseling or therapy, the client takes responsibility for seeking out a licensed professional. If the client is already in the care of a mental health professional, the client agrees to consult with them and inform them of the professional coaching relationship.
- The client agrees that the coach is not working as a psychotherapist, physical therapist, registered dietitian, or professional of any other matter other than a Certified Health & Wellness Coach.
- The client agrees to join the coaching program with the full understanding that he/she is responsible for creating his/her own results. The coach is hired with the purpose of advising and supporting the client concerning health & wellness, and/or assisting in creating a structure for identifying and achieving the client’s goals.
- Client further acknowledges that he/she may terminate or discontinue the coaching relationship at any time, under the financial consequences described in section 7.
- Client acknowledges that coaching is a comprehensive process that may involve different areas of his or her life, including work, finances, health, relationships, education, and recreation. The client agrees that deciding how to handle these issues, incorporating coaching principles into those areas, and implementing choices is exclusively the client’s responsibility.
- The client understands that in order to enhance the coaching relationship, the client agrees to communicate honestly, be open to feedback and assistance and create the time and energy to participate fully in the program. The client agrees to work in integrity, as well as self and mutual respect. The client agrees to practice self-reflection, introspection, and self-responsibility in order to facilitate lasting results.
- The client commits to providing any relevant medical records or health information, as well as actively participating in relevant assessments.
6 Scope of Practice
The coach Dr. Elaine Barretto acknowledges that she is not a medical professional. This agreement refers to her services as certified health and wellness coach. In addition to her qualifications as a coach, she has obtained further complementary specializations in other relevant areas of health and well-being, such as mental health, nutrition, yoga, mindfulness, and chronic pain, among others. Whenever making use of those complementary tools, the coach commits to clearly informing the client of the change of scope of practice and obtaining consent before initiating it. Dr. Elaine Barretto makes herself available to present any of her certificates as required by the client or any other allied professionals.
7.1 Coaching Sessions
The parties agree to engage in a Coaching Program.
The coaching sessions will take place in-person, via phone, or online. Additional material might be sent by the coach by e-mail or via an online platform.
The time of the coaching meetings and/or location will be determined by the coach and the client based on a mutually agreed-upon time and booked through an online system. The client and the coach agree to be punctual and to inform each other timely in case of delay.
The coach will be available to the client for support by e-mail and phone, as described in the Coaching Proposal. The coach may also be available for additional time, per the client’s request, on a prorated basis rate (ad-hoc sessions).
Canceled or missed sessions occasionally occur in any ongoing coaching relationship. If the client needs to cancel or change the time of a coaching session, a notice of 48 hours is requested – the session will then be rescheduled at no charge. In case of illness, travel, or emergency, the coach commits to making her best efforts to reschedule the session. For all other cases or late notice, the coaching session will be charged.
7.3 Breaks, Termination, and Refund Policy
The client may request a break from regular coaching sessions. Should this need arise, the coach and the client will discuss the purpose of the break and mutually agree on the duration, honoring the progress and the coaching goals.
Given the nature of the mindset and commitment required for successful outcomes, this coaching agreement is non-refundable. The client agrees to compensate the coach for the full coaching package, independently of an early termination by the client. In the unforeseen situation that the termination must be requested by the coach, the coach commits to refund the client for the remaining sessions, calculated in proportion to the full coaching package.